Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Easter was the 1st Holiday with my Cochlear Implant

I cant even explain how amazing this new hearing journey has been. I wouldn't trade it for a thing!! It amazing how im picking up on all these new sounds so fast. Its AWESOME! I am less stressed too.

Easter was my first holiday with my implant. So much noise and alot of conversations going all at once. This year we had easter at my house. There was about 13 of my family members here. I did pretty well with conversations at the kitchen table. I have been on program 4 for the past few days and it seems LOUDER and much BETTER as far as conversations go. There was so much noise going on in the kitchen while my sisters cooked sometimes I did miss a few words. Mostly I got 97% of the conversation. I feel more comfortable talking to people now. I was able to hear my little cousin who is shy for the first time. I was so happy to hear his voice. I always tell him "Can you speak up because I cant hear you" but hes only ten so he still doesnt understand for the first time I didn't have to tell him to SPEAK UP. I was so proud. I still get nervous telling people that I cant hear or I just pretend to HEAR. I think that habit will always be part of me because at times when my sisters or my parents are talking to me I still wont get the 100% of what they are saying. I dont think they understand that yet either. It takes time but I'm doing very well.

On April 30th, I went to my best friends house for " pasta dinner night" it was the day before her run. She has NF2 and is profoundly deaf. We are all hoping for a cure one day for this AWFUL DISEASE. She has raised $10,000! this year so proud of her and I was so glad she wanted me part of it. There was many family members and new faces. I felt comfortable for some reason with my implant. At first I was nervous because I didnt think I would do well at a large gathering. I got meet a few of her friends that have NF2 that came to support her as well as a few friends she graduated college with. I had a good time. So happy it was a success. Conversations were pretty easy we sat outside used ASL because all of them were deaf. I was able to hold a conversation well with one of her relatives even in a crowded kitchen!

In about a week on May 12th, I go back to the city for another mapping. Im excited have so much to tell her. I feel like it needs to be a little bit louder and hopefully that will be the program I use for awhile since I'm comfortable w the program.


On Sunday May 1st my niece and I were outside and I heard her running or walking.. PRICELESS . I also heard a woodpecker and I didnt understand why or what that was at first making a noise for so long at least 20 minutes. Finally my niece said Bird Bird and we found it! I enjoy having conversations with my niece shes talking more and more.. She loves to talk. She is so smart and getting to big way to fast for me! She runs so fast and I cant keep up lol. Everday I love hearing " Hi... D " haha I love it! For easter I also gave her a mickey and minnie mouse cd that has all kid songs on it so everyday we dance and listen to music. It nice to hear music at such low volume usually I have music blasting at 50 but it was only on volume 10 w my implant on. The best thing is when im in the front of the car and my niece is watching tv I hear the tv in the back all the words when she watches her shows. Its amazing... The one thing that is annoying to hear is the SIGNAL in the car. Its just something im not used to :) yet.


Have a great week..

3 comments:

Frieda Loves Bread said...

I'm so glad you had a wonderful Easter with your friends and family! Your journey has been amazing!

Danielle said...

Thanks Frieda!

Margie Fitchlee said...

DANIELLE...I AM SO HAPPY FOR YOU...I WILL CELEBRATE YEAR 2 SINCE MY COCHLEAR IMPLANT SURGERY...I THANK GOD AND MY WONDERFUL DOCTOR ERNESTO DIAZ-ORDAZ... IN BUFFALO NEW YORK...HE IS MY MIRACLE WORKER...EMBRACE YOUR NEW FOUND LIFE AND ENJOY ALL THE WONDERFUL SOUNDS AROUND YOU!!! IT WILL ONLY GET BETTER....MARGIE FITCHLEE