Wednesday, September 21, 2011

College with a Cochlear Implant

Sorry I havent been around. So busy with college. It's been a great experience so far hearing in a classroom setting for the first time with 30 or more students. Its awesome. I have no words.  Even when I was hard of hearing I never heard a thing in a class. EVER. I hear most of what the professors say but I still have the ASL interpreter as a back up. There are times I miss what the professor is saying when he/she is writing on the board or walking around the room. Its great to be able to hear. I noticed I am more outgoing. I have been speaking so much in class! Never in my life have I done that haha. I would just start talking in class an answer questions. One time I ever volunteered to write the answer on the board. Its a whole new me. Hearing with my Cochlear Implant has been the greatest gift ever. I am happy. Im outgoing. Im not really shy anymore. There are times I still have a problem. For example: at the food store, or post office. I am doing great though! 

On the other hand.. I found out about the Recall for my N5. I am a bit worried but need to remain calm of course. Luckily it has been working great!! and that scratchy sound was taken care of. It does come and go. Like today in class just watching the interpreter sign and all sudden It was SILENCE. I started shaking because I have to hear! I switched the batteries and even the disposable. Then sounds came back on again and starting to go on and off throughout the day. Which was new. So I called Cochlear and they advise me go for a mapping. I havent had a mapping in 5 months because I am doing well and because I am comfortable on my everyday program. My audiologist dont expect to see me till November but now after hearing what cochlear has to say and friends I think I will have to go back into the city for a mapping. They said It could be something changed? So I dont know.

Yesterday i went into the city to see my audiologist because i couldn't get the ear mold onto the processor because I had the wrong ear hooks. She changed it to a small and stretched the ear mold. The ear mold is comfortable but today it started getting annoying and itchy throughout the day. Im trying my best to ignore it since its only day 1 with the ear mold on. The ear mold holds my implant and the implant no longer falls off.PHEW. It has been a nightmare due to having tiny ears the implant falls off 24/7 constantly to the point where I couldn't catch the implant a few times. I  have a hypoallergenic ear mold because I am allergic to ear molds. My ear turns so red and gets swollen. 

This weekend Im excited going to a Deaf event so many people are expected to be there its in Queens about 30 minutes from me. I am looking forward to this event.

The month of October is going to be so BUSY. Between my first test at school then a walk for my best friend, then I have Mill Neck deaf school that I volunteer at every year which I enjoy. I am so excited cant wait. Then Im off to disney world AGAIN! For my niece 2nd birthday for 3 days.

Im telling you time is flying like crazy! I cant keep up or live without a calendar! Hope you are all doing well.

Tomorrow I am hosting the first Coffee Chat for people with Cochlear Implant's in my area. I am excited to meet new people who have implants and people that are interested in getting a CI. I will be back tomorrow to tell you all about it.

have a great night!


No comments: