Thursday, November 17, 2011

Newest Update with my Nucleus 5 Cochlear Implant

I havent been around because college is keeping me really busy. I barely have time to  relax anymore. I cant wait till this semester is over. 

The lastest information about my Cochlear Implant is not so good news. I am very upset. Unfortunately, my Audiologist knows the on and off has been occurring way to much and we replaced the Nucleus 5  five times now. Every piece over and over again. Its not even a year yet with the cochlear implant so its a bit strange and confusing as to why this is happening. We just dont know why. We are trying to rule out every option like a few weeks ago when I met with the cochlear rep, when she did the test. 

Anyway, The ch ch ch ch ch sound is so annoying that there are days I cant understand speech and the worst part of this all is most of the time all this happens when im in College when im sitting in class. Thankfully I have an interpreter and knows ASL. The implant is completely fine when I wake up in the morning and I take it out of the Dry and Store. I put it on get on the bus either twenty minutes into class or 45 minutes into class I get ch ch ch ch ch and then it shortens out and goes completely SILENCE. At first I thought the battery died and I missed the beeps but no I was wrong (OFF) then right back ON,  That is the pattern all day long. The same pattern but worst at this point. Has been going on for quite some time now. Its the same thing everyday. Im getting used to it but its frustrating when the implant shuts off for a long period of time and that has started weeks ago and hasn't stopped since. The remote stays home and heres why because every time well most of the time its on my head its fine and then when it does the ch ch ch sound its fine. No trouble shooting to do. Then sometimes I see that it said my implant is off when I hear sound when its not its clearly on my head. So thats why I just keep it home.

So heres whats happening now in the next week. My Audiologist  emailed me yesterday and decided that she wants me to try the FREEDOM processor. I have seen the Freedom processor because my friend is a bilateral freedom user. This will be my first time using this processer so I am nervous because I need to hear. I will be getting the processor on Tuesday 11/22/2011. The point of getting the freedom processor is to see if the Freedom works. If the FREEDOM processor works, well.. I dont want to know what happens next. That is the next question I will ask my audiologist when I see her Friday on November 25th. The processor was suppose to come over night but its coming Tuesday night instead so I hope two days is enough time to figure out if the Freedom is working or not. First I have to figure out how to use it that will probably take me a few hours. 

I am upset and disappointed but I am thankful that I can hear each and everyday with my implant. Even though I am having problems with the device I can still hear. Honestly I cannot live without my implant. This is something I rely on for the rest of my life.  I am going to leave this with a happy ending. 

CI moments and New Sounds....

-  A CI Moment before class on Monday morning I was sitting in the hall in college and all the way on the other side of the hallway there was a student and I heard her music from her Ipod. Not the exact song but I heard music.  The coolest moment ever! 

- Acorns if you step on acorns makes a noise. When Acorns fall from the trees makes a noise when it touches the ground.  I was trying to figure out where the noise was coming from. 

- The wind is so loud. When it is windy out and the leaves are blowing with the wind. What a sound! I heard that on Monday.

- spraying perfume makes a noise.


Tomorrow is my Birthday and I am looking forward to spending time with my niece all day! This will my first birthday with my Implant. :)

I am looking forward to Thanksgiving and Christmas which will be my first time with my implant. I am excited to hear new sounds and Christmas music!


Have a good night

Hugs
Danielle

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! Danielle, Sorry to hear about the problems you have in you CI.