Thursday, December 4, 2008

MRI'S & COCHLEAR IMPLANTS...

TO ALL COCHLEAR IMPLANT USERS:

Today I recieved an EMAIL that was about MRI'S AND CI'S.

PLEASE READ THIS ARTICLE.

Patients with cochlear implants may want to steer clear of certain magnetic imaging devices, such as 3T MRI machines, because the machines can demagnetize the patient's implant, according to new research published in the December 2008 issue of Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery.

It is estimated that more than 100,000 people have cochlear implants.

The study, conducted by a team of German and American researchers, tested several cochlear device magnets on a 3T MRI scanner with active shielding at a variety of angles (0º, 80º, 90º, 100º, 110º, and 180º). The researchers discovered that during routine use of 3T MRI machines at angles above 80º, an unacceptable level of demagnetization was reached, causing permanent damage to devices with nonremovable magnets, and creating the potential of exposing patients to undesirable magnetic forces.

3T MRI scanners are the next generation of MRI scanners and are significantly more powerful than 1.5T MRI scanners.

The study authors recommend that MRI scans on patients with cochlear implants should be performed using a 3T MRI machine only if a 1.5T machine is not available, and if the benefits of the scan far outweigh the risk of cochlear implant demagnetization.

Source: Jessica Mikulski; American Academy of Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery

PLEASE CLICK HERE FOR THE ARTICLE.


For a second I thought to myself OMG thats dangerous. I would be paranoid and I know for sure I wouldnt get an MRI done if I had a CI. So right away I emailed my Friend from florida who has a CI and I asked her if she ever had an MRI done with her CI and she said NO, not yet. I said but what do you mean? Its dangerous U cant have that test done. She told me the THREE top Cochlear Implant devices such as Cochlear America, Advanced Bionic, MED-EL are SAFE for MRI'S. I was shocked! She then Explained to me and gave me links for the exact websites.


COCHLEAR AMERICA is safe up to 1.5 telsa with your external device being removed.


ADVANCED BIONIC Bionic Ear System's HiRes 90K implant for Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) at 0.3 Tesla and 1.5 Tesla with the internal magnet removed.


MED-EL website saids they dont require the internal magnet to be removed.


I Couldn't believe this after she told me this information. Im glad because If I ever get a CI and I need and MRI now I know not to panic.

I just wanted to let you all know this for your safety!!

*Smile*

2 comments:

Laurie said...

Dani, I wear a medical bracelet that has my name on it and clearly says that I have a cochlear implant and that I cannot have an MRI. I also cannot have monopolar cautery in the head or neck area (which is another restriction that most CI patients are not aware of).

I've also thought about having a tattoo done somewhere on my body with that information on it in case my bracelet or CI's fall off in an accident or something. But am not sure where to put it or if an EMT or medical person would see it in time. I also have that information in my wallet, as well.

Danielle said...

Wow..im glad I posted it. The tattoo seems like a good idea to. put it on ur wrist if you want it done. Thanks for letting me know.
Smile*