Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Cochlear's Phone with Confidence

Tonight I decided to use Phone with Confidence that I found on the cochlear website. You call an 1800 number and you practice listening with the phone they give you choices to choose from. I first did the Word List that has four words. I then listened to a full passage for the first time. Being this was my first time I didn't know what to expect so I used my personal audio cable and plugged it into my cell phone jack. I heard everything it was crystal clear. This took about 7 minutes its a great way to practice using the phone.

If you are interested in practicing with the phone using your cochlear implant go to cochlear's website: Telephone with Confidence GOOD LUCK!

Each day there is new words and passages you just click on the date and you follow the PDF. Tomorrow I will NOT use the audio cable I want to try and see If I can hear without the audio cable. All you do is put the phone up to your ear.



AND FINALLY!!!Some Great News.. Here in NEW YORK CITY there is going to be a free service for emergency alert text messages. Below is directly from Hearing Loss Association Website


FCC, FEMA Unveil Emergency Text Messaging System May 17, 2011
Washington, D.C., New York, NY – Mayor Michael Bloomberg, Federal Communications


Commission Chairman Julius Genachowski, Federal Emergency Management Agency Administrator W. Craig Fugate, top executives from AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile and Verizon and others convened at the World Trade Center site May 10, 2011 to announce PLAN--the Personal Localized Alerting Network. PLAN is a free service that will allow customers with an enabled mobile device to receive geographically-targeted, text-like messages alerting them of imminent threats to safety in their area. This service will be available in New York City by the end of 2011, at least two calendar quarters before the rest of the nation.

PLAN ensures that emergency alerts will not get stalled by user congestion, which can happen with standard mobile voice and texting services. Authorized government officials can send messages, which participating wireless providers then push using their cell towers to enabled mobile devices in a targeted geographic area.



I ALSO HEARD SOON** WE DON'T KNOW WHEN, THAT YOU WILL BE ABLE TO CALL 911 (EMERGENCY) VIA TEXT. THIS IS ONE OPTION** THAT NEEDS TO COME OUT ASAP. JUST THINK "WHAT IF" YOU ARE IN NEED OF HELP ASAP AND YOU CANT HEAR ON THE PHONE BECAUSE YOU ARE DEAF OR CANT SPEAK. 911 WILL BE THERE FOR YOU BY TEXT MESSAGING. WHO KNOWS WHEN THIS IS GOING TO COME OUT! BUT I KNOW ITS IN THE WORKS.


Have a wonderful night!

No comments: