Friday, June 22, 2012

Summer Time & Travel Information

The last few weeks have been crazy because I am taking a summer class. The first day of summer was Wednesday and it was super hot 100 degrees here in New York.

Yesterday I went into the pool with my niece because it was another hot day. Hearing in the pool is amazing. I can understand what everyone is talking about. I am no longer isolated and confused. I even hear the music blasting.

I experienced something really cool yesterday. Someone jumped into the pool and I heard a big SPLASH!!! Also when you go onto a float the float makes a noise as well. Splashing someone makes a noise too. I DID NOT* go under water with my N5 processor on. I am a bit nervous about that.  All I did was dunk my entire body up to my shoulders. My niece splashed me once and I was able to swim around with no problem at all! You can even hear a noise when you kick in the water.

Totally awesome!!!!!!

Below is an article I wanted to share with you all.


Beatin' the Summer Heat - Nucleus 5 & Nucleus Freedom IP Water Rating









Beatin' the Summer Heat - Nucleus® 5 & Nucleus Freedom™ IP Water Rating
As summer brings water activities, humidity and sweating, you or your child can enjoy the benefits of hearing while participating in summer activities with your Cochlear Nucleus® 5 or Nucleus Freedom™ Sound Processor.

Nucleus 5
The Nucleus 5 Sound Processor is a behind-the-ear sound processor certified to be IP57 water resistant* when using rechargeable batteries. This means that the sound processor is not only splash resistant, it can also be submerged into three feet of still water for up to 30 minutes. 

When using disposable batteries, the Nucleus 5 Sound Processor is certified to be IP44 splash resistant.

Nucleus Freedom
The Nucleus Freedom Sound Processor is certified to be IP44 splash resistant.** This means that recipients can enjoy playing in sprinklers and engaging in sports.
When Hearing Aids are No Longer Enough Webinar
Are hearing aids no longer working well enough for you? Please join the next webinar, "Because Life is Worth Hearing - Solutions for Hearing Loss" on Tuesday, June 26 at 11 AM. Register Today!


Here are some travel tips:

  • Carry your patient ID card with you at all times.Download a printable PDF

  • Cochlear implant recipients can go through the airport security metal detectors because they usually will NOT react to the metal in your Nucleus® Sound Processor. You can also walk through whole body scanners.

  • Bring your own headphones or use a Mains Isolation Cable to listen to music or movies during a flight.

  • Bring spare sound processors with you if you have them.

  • Always pack your spare sound processors inside a carry-on bag. Never place your sound processor directly onto the conveyer belt.

  • You can leave your sound processor on during takeoff and landing.

  • Read the TSA guidelines for traveling as a cochlear implant recipient.




Have a safe and fun Summer!!!!!



© 2012 My personal Hearing Loss blog

No comments: