Saturday, June 2, 2012

Volunteering during May

On Friday May 25, 2012 I went to my local library to support Better Hearing & Speech Month. To let people know about Cochlear Implants. About fifteen showed up. Mostly parents who have deaf children. These parents are considering a CI for their child. One baby who is eighteen months old was born profoundly deaf. She does not benefit from hearing aids. The parents are learning American Sign Language as well.  I was so glad I was able to help them.

This was a good experience for me I do wish more people came but I did try fifteen people is more than enough on short notice.  I am glad everyone left happy.

For those of you that dont know where I live. I live on Long Island, NY. Long Island is huge. I am 30 minutes from New York City (NYC). Here on Long Island, I dont know anyone who has a cochlear implant. NOT even 1 person. I do know that there are a lot of people in NYC that have implants but I dont know them. My goal at this event was just to get the WORD out there that if you are deaf and cannot benefit from hearing aids anymore that there is another option out there for you!

My new goal for this summer is to find more YOUNG ADULTS on Long Island with CI's. I have looked numerous of times and for hours online. This is not so simple. I have to try harder to find people. I was also thinking of another idea, starting a website for young adults. This way people who are deaf in New York have a place to go. Maybe even do picnic events etc.

If you live in New York or If you know anyone in NY please have them contact me! Thanks so much.

Hope you are having a safe and wonderful summer so far!


© 2012 My personal Hearing Loss blog

2 comments:

Www.lozsmedicsljourney.blogspot.co.uk said...

if i were in new york id be there like a shot lol

Danielle said...

Thanks Laura :)