Thursday, January 5, 2012

Re-Implantation Surgery Date

 On January 3rd, 2012 I went into the city to see my surgeon. He knew it was a failure because my audiologist called him ahead of time. I waited awhile to see him, my appointment was only 5-10 minutes. I didn't even leave with my surgery date although Dr A. told the secretary put her in ASAP. The secretary told me she would call me the following day and never did so I called them. They didn't do anything yet. Yesterday I called again and they were looking at dates and she promised she would call me Today. Still nothing and it was 2pm.. so I called. Finally after waiting fifteen minutes on the phone she comes back and said the only available date is the Jan 18th when they knew school was soon. Surgery is scheduled for the January 18th 2012. I dont know what time yet. They will get back to me on that. My parents and I decided to get a car service. It would be less stress since its very difficult to park in the city.

 I asked my suregon a few questions. How long will it take? He said 4 hours the same as the first time. I was surprised by the response because I found out in the UK it only took 1 hour for them to get re implanted. My surgeon did say it can be done in 1 hour but he cant just rip it out he has to take it out properly and put the new one in the right way.  I also asked how long do I have to wait till activation? Basically the same 4 weeks because it has to heal. If you turn the implant on sooner than that there will be problems. So I will wait the 4-5 weeks. Then I asked if I'm the only one that this failure is happening to and he said no there is quite a few people from his office.

I am okay I am just more nervous then ever. I am not worried about the pain, I'm more worried about infection. I am staying calm. This is just a lot to take in all over again but I'll be okay because I have so much support from everyone and I am worried about school now. Thankfully, I have interpreters in class and I should be okay to start school.


Thank you all for the support it means a lot....



To be Continued...



© 2012 My personal Hearing Loss blog

2 comments:

Annie said...

Hugs for you Danielle, so sorry this happened to you.

Wishing you all the best. Holding you in my thoughts and prayers on the 18th.

Danielle said...

Thanks so much Annie!